Whether space is at a premium in your bedroom or home office, or you’re looking to give any room of your home a makeover, consider opting for sliding doors rather than bi-fold or traditional styles. Because sliding doors swing open, they don’t eat up valuable floor space, and due to the wide variety of styles available, you’re sure to find a design that enhances your home’s aesthetic.
Types of Sliding Doors
With a sleek appearance and no swing issues, sliding doors offer a lot of functionality for closets and room dividers. Consider the style, material and placement of the door when selecting them.
Pocket doors disappear right into the wall when opened, making them one of the best design options for rooms that are tight on space. Pocket doors can be made of wood or metal, and some styles feature built-in glass panels. The advantages of pocket doors include:
- Subtlety: Pocket doors blend right into the room’s decor and don’t call attention to themselves.
- Size: Because they don’t need to overlap each other to open or close, or swing outward from the wall, pocket doors can be any size.
Sliding Glass Doors
Glass doors come in a variety of styles, including frosted, tinted, or decorative glass. They hide your belongings while adding a sense of sophistication to your décor. Depending on the style, they may consist of one or more panels per door. The advantages of sliding glass doors include:
- Custom sizing: Glass doors can often be custom fabricated to allow you to select the glass, overall style and number of panels to enhance your space.
- Style: Glass doors don’t just hide your belongings, they add a design element. Additionally, because they magnify the amount of light in a room, they can make smaller spaces look larger.
Sliding Mirrored Doors
Mirrored doors tend to double the amount of visible light and visually enlarge any space. Keep in mind that mirrored doors will also reflect everything in a room, so they aren’t the best choice for small, cluttered spaces. Mirrored doors are popular choices in dressing rooms and bathrooms.
Sliding Wood Doors
From traditional styling to style-trending sliding barn doors, wooden sliding doors offer a unique design element to your room. The advantages of sliding wood doors include:
- Durability: Solid wood doors need no maintenance and last for years.
- Style: With an endless array of design styles to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect door for your space.
Wooden doors come in a wide variety of wood species and finishes; when browsing for sliding closet doors in Houston, take a look at the following options:
- Stained, painted, or lacquered finishes
- Intricate carvings or overlays
- Raised panel designs
- Inlaid glass panels